Sunday, September 2, 2007

Shun the non believers, shuuunnnn....






Song of the moment: Acoustic #3- Goo Goo Dolls
Dose of amusement:
Look, a leoplurodon! (enjoy if you haven't seen it already)
Foucault quote of the day:
Chance does not speak essentially through words nor can it be seen in their convolution. It is the eruption of language, its sudden appearance. It's not a night twinkle with stars, an illuminated sleep, nor a drowsy vigil. It is the very edge of consciousness.

Today was a ridiculously uneventful yet productive day. I worked all day long so I can go explore Caen tomorrow, it's my goal to see William the Conqueror's Castle, the WWII memorial, and to shop of course! I did most of my reading in the garden which was absolutely beautiful and peaceful. Despite the looming stress of the year ahead, sitting in that garden with nothing but sunshine, philosophy, and flowers life seems so much simpler. I guess sometimes we have to get away from our self to return to our self.

Since I pathetically have nothing else to report for the day I'm going to go back on my word, yep you heard it here first. I promised I wouldn't talk philosophy again, well I lied. Whoops, don't you hate it when that happens. But this won't be a long rant of any sorts, just 3 random existential interjections, some food for thought. So many of you were so kind about my thesis, that I figure you can forgive me.

Being alone this weekend, although today I was joined today by a choir group of some sorts (it's 4 people who are staying here and singing in a room. Random.), has put me in a more existential mood than normal. Here's what's on my mind:

1) I'd like to share with you a bit of a thought experiment that my thesis advisor shared with me on the first day of our Existentialism freshman seminar that forever impacted my world view and caused me to have one of those cliched moments: on the first day of class I knew I wanted to be a philosophy major. Here it is:

She told us that she had a neighbor, and every day this neighbor would go outside early in the morning and put a letter in his mailbox. Then, later that same afternoon, he would return to his mailbox and would be astonished at what he had found: a letter had written to himself.

She then went on to say that we are ALL that man. We all put meaning into the world and then are delighted at the meaning which we have found.

Damn.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. It really isn't that profound either, but until it's brought to your attention, it's something you never really think about. There's nothing inherently beautiful about mountains or my cute pink blog, we determine whether or not we like something or think it is beautiful. That is why everyone has different opinions, the same fruit will be sweet to one and bitter to another. Here my friends is the existential crisis: you awake to find yourself in a world which has no meaning. Objects, your actions, you = meaningless. However, I actually find it empowering because we have the power to interpret and give meaning to the world around us. You can always choose how you insert meaning into the world.

Okay, that was a brief intro to existentialism. If you're interested it's better we do coffee than I continue.

2) I wrote this a yr ago, but it's def my fav. existential passage thus far. I think you'll enjoy it.

3) Writing this blog makes me such a being-for-others, sartre would def hate me. That is Sartrean terminology which means that I am viewing my existence through and for the perception of others. Instead of simply being and creating meaning in the world, I see myself an object of the perception of others. Even though a blog is an obvious example of this, it inevitably occurs through small acts every day. Regardless, I have put a smile on your face it's worth it :p

Well those are my random mental wanderings. My apologies if they're incoherent, I just wanted to throw some ideas out instead of give a comprehensive description, cause heaven knows that would take ages.

Attached are some random pics of the grounds around the Abbey. The first pic is interesting because if you look closely you'll notice it's a part of the building that hasn't been renovated and still has original damage from world war II. It's also part of the building i'm staying in. It gives it that rustic feel :p Au revoir, I'll write after tomorrow's explorations!