Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see...

Song of the moment: Breakaway- Kelly Clarkson
Dose of amusement:
this is sweeeeet. so is this.
Foucault quote of the day:
"Stones can make people knowable and docile."

Wow.

Yeah that sums it up. I just can't believe I'm going home tomorrow. Or actually in 8 hrs to be more specific. Today has reminded me of oh how much I hate saying goodbye.

Fortunately my last day of research was immensely productive. I finished going through everything I needed before lunch so I got to enjoy the afternoon listening to a few lectures for fun. Haha yes, I know I'm a huge dork, but what a once in a life time opportunity this is. A free trip to see the world's largest archives for my favorite philosopher? And as fate would have it, I actually stumbled upon some stuff that is quite helpful on accident in those lectures, so everything was fantastic. After studying, I paid my bill and organized to have a cab pick me up in the morning (at 6 am...dread).

It was sad leaving the library, honestly I wish you could see it in person. Its one of the most inspiring places I've been to, you feel more scholarly from the moment you enter. Then I spent the rest of the evening until dinner sitting in the garden, reading, and reflecting. I couldn't have thought of a more perfect way to draw a close to my stay here.

Dinner was fantastic and occurred in french, english, italian, and spanish. So I was 2 and 2 for the night, not bad. But it was phenomenal. Everyone was so kind and the conversation was just miraculous, one of the best I've had in my life. It has been a gift to be surrounded by some of the best Foucault minds in the world. We all exchanged emails and then I spoke with the British woman for another hour after and she cried when we said goodbye! I couldn't believe it. It made me cry too. Even though I had only known her for a few days we seemed to connect instantly. She said I was like a daughter to her. Who would have ever thought I could come half way around the world, and in but a week and a half meet some of the most beautiful souls I have met in my life? Amazing.

Well, I think my title about sums things up. I feel like another woman, a more enlightened and happier woman. But I will save a sappy sentimental email for when I return. I have 12 hrs on a plane and 3 hrs of public transportation (which will hopefully go much more smoothly than the first time :p) so I need my sleep. I arrive at 8 pm mountain time tomorrow and I will write one last email as a reflection on my trip after I have recovered with some much needed sleep on friday. Yes this is the warning that the last email will be introspective and cheesy, but such is life. I figure it will be less so if I get a little sleep before writing it.

Well please keep me in your thoughts as I travel tomorrow and thank you all for you love and support. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful friends. I didn't put this up on facebk or anything because I knew it would be a big experience in my life despite it's short duration and I wanted to share it with the people I care about most. So thank you for letting me do so. I would honestly put myself in front of a bus for any one of you kids. Well home here I come...


...grace has brought me safe thus far and grace will lead me home...au revoir!